How to get from ‘Pig to Plate’ in six weeks.
This one day advanced level butchery and charcuterie masterclass is designed for industry folks; the 7 hour class features a 6-week outline for transforming whole carcasses into a butcher’s dozen of profitable French farmstead charcuterie products. This pragmatic approach to whole carcass butchery and charcuterie is practiced on the Chapolard farm in Southwest France every week as the 6 member farm team transforms 8-10 pigs for direct sale via farmers’ markets. This intensive workshop day is aimed at chefs, farmers, and butchers with some previous understanding or experience of working with pork, butchery, cooking, and curing.
Based on Dominique Chapolard’s weekly farm production (Seed-to-Sausage on a Hundred Acres), we demonstrate-step by step-the breakdown of whole carcass from primal to French charcuterie cuts. We follow with seam butchery for smaller salt-cured whole muscles- noix de jambon, filet sec, coppa. Next, as taught in our advanced level course in France, we explore the basics of value added products from trim and undervalued cuts. We focus on Old World products supported by New World food safety standards including HACCP level work instructions, process flow diagrams, and economic breakdowns for each product. Finishing with a special focus on the ‘fifth quarter’-from paté de tête or headcheese, grattons (rendered fat product), terrines, and recipes for offal-the day concludes with an overall economic breakdown and introduction to the 5 pre-steps of HACCP for meat and poultry production. From whole carcass to 13 traditional French Charcuterie products produced on a 6 week timeframe- “from Pig to Plate.”
- This masterclass is suitable for 12-20 participants, demonstration and participation with supporting materials.
- Hours: 9:00-5:00 or 7 hours instruction plus 1 hour lunch break
- Available for booking for private groups.
- April 14- Seattle, WA at Seattle Culinary Academy- book here
- April 18- Portland OR http://www.pdxmeat.com/2015/12/14/the-french-pig-whole-carcass-charcuterie-masterclass-4-18-16/
- April 25th- San Francisco Bay Area book here